In anticipation of Veteran’s Day (November 11, 2019), OutreachNC is reaching out to all school-aged children and assigning the meaningful and inquisitive task of interviewing a Veteran. As we honor the contributions of the veterans in our lives, we are eager to hear their stories, thoughts and insights regarding their military service and what it means to each individual to be a Veteran.
Students will conduct the interviews themselves, from start to finish. Each interviewer will choose his or her list of questions, reach out to Veterans for interviews and write an essay including a brief introduction and the interview itself (which can be edited for length). We are excited to hear which questions students will ask and how Veterans will respond. We all have different lenses through which we view life, and these interviews will help us view Veteran’s Day through the perspectives of multiple generations.
The contest is open to all students between the ages of 5 and 18.
The maximum word count for each interview is 1200 words, including the introduction and interview itself. Each interview should begin with an introduction including a brief biography of the Veteran, the writer’s relationship to the Veteran and the primary theme of the interview (what is the overall message the interview conveys?).
Submissions should be sent via email to Amy Phariss, Editor in Chief, OutreachNC Magazine, firstname.lastname@example.org.
1st Place $150
2nd Place $75
3rd Place $50
September 1, 2019 is the deadline for submissions, and the 1st Place winner will be published in November’s OutreachNC issue!
As a community, we are excited to honor, celebrate and understand the contributions of our Veterans, and hearing their stories in their own words is a message we look forward to sharing!
Writing Contest: Assignment OutreachNC – Interview a Veteran!
- Interview a Veteran about his/her thoughts, experiences and service.
- Submission is open to all students between the ages of 5 and 18.
- Submission must include writer’s name, school, grade, phone number and email address.
- Essay must be the writer’s original work and will become property of OutreachNC.
- Essay must
be no longer than 1200 words and should include:
- a description of the Veteran
- how the writer knows the Veteran
- the primary theme of the interview, giving readers a window into the Veteran’s world prior to beginning the interview
- original interview questions that allows the interview to meander naturally as the Veteran’s story unfolds
- All submissions will be read, rated, and selected for prizes by the OutreachNC magazine editorial committee.
- Cash prizes will be awarded to the top of 3
- First Place: $150
- Second Place: $ 75
- Third Place $ 50
- First-Place essay will be published in the November 2019 OutreachNC magazine
- Second and Third-Place essays will be published in OutreachNC.com
Entry Deadline: Sunday, September 1, 2019 at 5:00 p.m.