A third Moore County resident has tested positive for the coronavirus (COVID – 19) . The Moore County Health Department was notified of the positive test result on March 26th , 2020 by the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services. Today’s confirmed positive case was found to be unrelated to the two previous positive case s from March 18th and 19th . This case has been linked to out – of – state travel. To protect privacy, no further information about this individual will be shared by the Health Department.
Moore County Health Department staff are monitoring the individual who tested positive and will follow up with anyone who is identified as a c lose contact. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) defines “close contact” as being within six feet for 10 minutes or more.
The Moore County Health Department continues to urge all residents to take measures to reduce the spread of coronavirus:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol – based hand sanitizer.
- Avoid tou ching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Health officials also encourage everyone to implement social distancing measures to reduce frequency of contact, like maintaining six feet of distance , avoiding crowds, and staying home to the greatest extent possible. This is important for everyone and especially those at high risk of severe illness, specifically anyone over 65 years old or anyone who has an underlying health condition like heart disease, lung disease, diabetes or a weakened immune system. Further, individuals in this high – risk category should take ex tra care to be mindful o f reco mmendations to avoid exposure.
For more information about coronavirus and Moore County’s response, please visit www.moorecountync.gov/health