Oh, how overwhelmed we can feel through the stresses of life, especially during a pandemic! Sometimes you feel like you’ve gotten way more than you can handle. Yet still, you find a way to keep going.
It’s great when you can find the energy to soldier on, but are you pushing through at your own detriment? Coping mechanisms help to keep you in the game but burnout is right around the corner.
Next time you’re feeling overwhelmed, try these six steps to get back on track!
1. Stop in your tracks. Stop right where you are and accept the situation for what it is. Take note about what has happened up until this point in time.
Ask yourself how you got there. What are the reasons behind your overwhelm? Write them down to discover the patterns that build up to your overwhelm over time.
2. Embrace your weaknesses*. Ask yourself what shortcomings have prevented you from staying on top of things? Be honest with yourself so you can move forward and resolve the situation.
*Whatever you’ve identified as your weaknesses, accept and embrace them. Be kind to yourself! You’re already overwhelmed. Don’t put yourself down, choose to be your own champion!
3. Avoid excuses. How can you take responsibility for your situation? Avoid overlooking yourself as the main factor behind your current situation. Only YOU are in control of you!
4. Open up to someone you can trust. Simply sharing your story can help ease some of the stress. Tell the whole story. Allow the person to understand your highs and lows. Let them see how your strengths got you this far. But also share what you think you could have done differently.
5. Organize an approach. Now that you’ve vented, you’ll have a clearer mind to map out your path forward. You’ve figured out what went wrong, try to tackle those things first. Now’s your chance to change direction and pull yourself out of this rut.
6. Surround yourself with positive support. It’s difficult, and dang near impossible, to handle everything on your own. Identify where you can delegate, outsource, or automate tasks to get them off your plate. Embrace these solutions and get the support you need.
Being in over your head doesn’t have to be a death sentence. It’s an opportunity to get creative with your strategy. Trial and error is key. Allow yourself the flexibility to tweak and try different methods until you find your groove.
Give yourself the chance to be in control. With these positive strategies, you’ll be able to take matters into your own hands and live the life you want!
Feeling stuck? Ask Life Coach Laura! Send your questions and problem scenarios to Team@TriangleLifeCoaching.com. All submissions are 100% confidential. Selected questions will be anonymously published and the submitter will win a free 30-minute laser coaching session with Laura ($85 value!)